Tips to make your computer faster
Taking forever for Windows to load, applications take an eternity to launch?
Over time, regular use of your computer builds up unneeded files on your hard disk. As the disk fills up it takes longer to read from the various segments on the disk. Neglecting to perform regular maintenance can add to poor computer performance.
Things you can do to speed up your computer.
- Restart your computer more often. This closes unnecessary applications and results in a faster computer.
- Uninstall unneeded applications. Frees up drive space and in some cases removes unneeded services that use up system resources.
- Delete temporary files using "Disk Cleanup". Helps to free up drive space.
- Remove unneeded browser plugins. Speeds up browser, frees up system resources.
- Defrag your hard disk using "Defragment and optimise drives" Helps to arrange your files on your drive, increasing drive performance.
- Make sure Windows updates are set to enabled and automatic. No-brainer really.
- Upgrade outdated hard drives to newer Solid State Drives. These new SSD drives are the best thing since free antivirus, they greatly speed up Windows and application load times.
- Upgrade system RAM (Memory). Once you click an application it launches itself into memory from disk (memory is many times faster than disk), if you don't have enough memory the system creates more "memory" by using (slower) disk, slowing your computer even more.
- Run regular Antivirus scans. Malware (viruses) can slow down your computer by utilising system resources.